"As for God, His way is perfect; The word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him." - Psalm 18:30
Living In Two Worlds
Living in Two Worlds
(II Cor. 6:14-7:1)
1) There are real life examples of embarrassment. (People will change their behavior if they know we are faithful Christians. (Use llustratuion[s])
A. We have to learn how to react to the worldly – how to let them know who we are and not be influenced by them.
B. We cannot compromise to make those who offend feel comfortable or to offend God (Cf. Matt. 6:24.)
2) There are two wrong approaches to how we live in this world, and one right one
A. Wrong approach number one: Not of the world but not in the world.
B. Wrong approach Number two: In the world but of or like the world.
C. Right approach: In the world but not of the world.
I. Wrong Approach #1: Not of the World but Not in the World either
A. I John 2:15-17
B. 2 Cor. 6:14-7:1; I Cor. 5:9-10
C. Matt. 5:13-14
II. Wrong Approach #2: In the world, But also of the World
A. Beware of Friendship with the world! James 4:4
B. Beware of hypocrisy! Matt. 23:25-26
C. Beware of our claims! Matt. 7:22-23
III. Right Approach: In the World but Not of the World (Jn. 17:13-19)
A. Jesus want us to realize the true joy of holy Christian living (v.13)
B. If we live in the world but are not like the world we will be hated. (v.14)
C. We can live in the world and not be like the world. (v. 15)
D. Jesus acknowledges that if we are like Him we will not be like the world. (v. 16)
E. In order to live in the world and survive, we need the Word of Truth. (v. 17)
F. Jesus wants us in the world to make a difference. (v. 18)
G. Jesus demonstrated what we need to realize: (v. 19)
1. There are people who need us! (Luke 5:30-32)
2. But in order to reach and teach others, we must first teach ourselves. (v. 19)
1. We live in two worlds and it is impossible to escape either one.
2. We must not allow the world to change us! (Rom. 12: 1-2)
3. We must seek to change it! (Matt. 5:16)